Ask Larry

Can I Suspend and Increase My Benefit?

My husband is 77 and I am 69. I took my social security benefits when I turned 65. I wish I had known about the various ways I could have piggybacked on my husband's social security. My payment is about 950 and my husbands is about 1600. Is there any way I could suspend my benefits now and wait until I am older so I would be paid more when I start getting my benefits again? Any information would be so welcome. Thank you.

Yes, you can suspend receipt of your retirement benefit and earn a 2/3% increase for every month of suspension until age 70.
If you are currently paying Medicare Part B premiums out of your Social Security check you will need to make other payment arrangements.


Jun 30 2016 - 2:30pm
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$250 Annual Financial Advisor License