Ask Larry

Can I Request To Have My Benefit Rate Calculated Again?

I became disabled with 2 herniated disc in cervical spine. I strongly believe my social security was not calculated correctly. Can I request thst it be calculated again? 1997? It was rushed please grt back to me

Hi. Yes, you can submit a written and signed request for a recalculation of your benefit rate to Social Security. The preferred form for that purpose is an SSA-795 (, which is basically a blank form on which you write out what you're requesting and why. The form can then be submitted to your servicing Social Security office (

I should add, though, that Social Security does calculate benefit rates correctly is almost all cases.

Best, Jerry

Jul 28 2021 - 11:57am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License