Ask Larry

Can I Ask That My Benefit Be Recalculated?

My Social security was calculated in a rush because of an injury and I was placed on SSSI. I suspect it was not calculated correctly. Can I asked that it be recalculated? How do I know it was calculated correctly

Hi. Virtually all Social Security retirement and disability (SSDI) benefits are calculated using Social Security's automated computer system. Therefore, unless there are earnings missing from your earnings history, it's extremely unlikely that your benefit rate was calculated incorrectly. However, if you believe that there are earnings missing from your record or if you have another reason for believing that your benefit rate was miscalculated then you could either file an appeal request or a request for a manual recalculation.

Appeal requests ( must normally be requested within 60 days of the determination you're appealing. If you're past that timeframe, you can submit a form SSA-795 ( to Social Security requesting that your benefit rate be recomputed and listing the reasons why you believe the calculation is wrong. You should also submit any pertinent evidence (e.g. proof of earnings that you think weren't considered, etc.) that you want them to consider.

Best, Jerry

Aug 4 2021 - 11:03am
MaxiFi software running on a laptop
Get What's Yours!
Discover tens of thousands in extra retirement dollars with Maximize My Social Security software!
  • Find your maximized strategy
  • Unlimited what-ifs
  • Step-by-Step filing instructions
  • Our software's lifetime-benefit increase for an illustrative couple earning $65K each and planning to take retirement benefits at 62.

    Results will differ based on your specific case and filing strategy.

Getting Started is Easy
Web-based software. Works on ALL browsers. No download.
$40 Annual Household License
$299 Annual Financial Advisor License