Am I Entitled To Any Benefits?


My query is whether I am entitled to any financial help. I am a British citizen, I married an American citizen on 31st December, 1976 in England who sadly passed away 5th January, 2007. He was born in Los Angeles on 18th March, 1956. We lived and worked in Oakland, California from 1976 to 1982 when we permanently moved back to the UK. I wrote to the American Embassy in London for information but no response.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Hi Pauline,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Will I Lose My Social Security If I Return To Work?


I am 68 years old and will turn 69 July 5th of this year. Due to severe money issues, I want to return to my old job in NYC for just short of 6 months. I will stay at my brothers home. I have a few related questions: Can I still collect my SS monthly benefit? Will I lose my medicare while I am working? If I lose my SS, will I have to re-apply all over again? Would my benefit be greater due to the added income? Will I owe NY state income tax? I thank you in advance. Kind regards, Sal

Hi Sal,

How Do We Deal With Form SSA-131?


Husband retired due to lay-off 12-2015, started new job 01-2016. Received 2016 W-2 for a "special payment," for "volunteering" to retire 12-2015...not worded as a buyout or severance, but similar. Then for tax year 2016, received Form SSA-131 EMPLOYER REPORT OF SPECIAL WAGE PAYMENTS. Employer has filled it out. Husband (age 68) has been on file-and-suspend, planning to collect SS at age 70. Reluctant to turn form in because within the paragraph under Part 2 is the sentence--THE ABOVE NAMED INDIVIDUAL HAS FILED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS.

Why Does Social Security Withdraw Direct Deposits From A Deceased Person's Bank Account?


My Father -in-law recently passed away at age 90.

My wife and I researched the regulations about when his benefits stop. We learned that if someone who was receiving Social Security benefits dies ,the bank where the direct deposit was going, must return the benefit received for the month of death or any later months. However, the account is entitled to keep death benefits for the month the died.

Can You Answer My Tax Question?


I am 71 years old and I stopped working last August, 2016 but the Federal government, in completely the tax returns, wants me to pay $3,000 quarterly in 2017. Why, if I'm not working or collecting unemployment insurance?? I have not yet submitted my tax returns. Can you answer my question?


No, I can't. Social Security is my only area of expertise.

Best, Jerry